Vacuum cleaners have become a part of our everyday life. They are is an excellent tool to keep the house clean and dust-free.
But which vacuum cleaner should you prefer: a corded vs cordless vacuum cleaner? Well both of them have their pros and cons, but it generally depends on your needs.
Let’s take a look at both kinds of vacuum cleaners in detail and analyze which vacuum cleaner would be best for you…
What is a Corded Vacuum Cleaner?
A corded vacuum cleaner is a traditional style of vacuum cleaners. With the advancement in technology, vacuum cleaners have evolved. It contains several extensions and a plug-in cord that help in cleaning a large area.
The suction power of such types of vacuum cleaners is high, which is ideal for cleaning carpets, rugs, and much more. The changeable tools and parts come in handy with the vacuum cleaner, which makes the cleaning process manageable.
Following are the advantages of corded vacuum cleaners:
- The suction power of corded vacuum cleaners is high, which helps to suck out even the toughest dirt.
- Corded vacuum cleaners have a long lifespan as it does not contain batteries.
- Since these vacuum cleaners have a long cord, it is easy to reach most of the spots in the house.
- They are comparatively less expensive than cordless vacuum cleaners.
- These vacuum cleaners come with big dust storage bags, which are efficient in collecting large amounts of dust.
Despite having various advantages, corded vacuum cleaners suffer from certain disadvantages as well.
- There is a limitation to the length of the cord. You can extend the cleaning process only till the cord allows you to do so.
- Corded vacuum cleaners are generally bigger and bulky, prohibiting the users to move them easily from one place to another.
What is a Cordless Vacuum Cleaner?
Cordless vacuum cleaners are just the opposite of corded vacuum cleaners. Contrary to the corded one, cordless vacuum cleaners lack a cord that connects the device to the power supply. As technology is evolving, cordless vacuum cleaners came into existence.
The cordless vacuum cleaners come with a chargeable battery. Since it is easily movable from one place to another, it helps to clean even tighter areas, including spaces with dust spots, pet hair, and other kinds of dirt. Plus, it has a powerful motor that drives the cleaning process with ease.
The benefits of using a cordless vacuum cleaner include:
- Cordless vacuum cleaners are flexible, which makes them convenient to use.
- These vacuum cleaners reach even the tighter areas of your house where other vacuums are unable to reach.
- It is ideal for quick cleanup if you are a busy person.
- It is super lightweight and does not require a lot of maintenance.
- Such kinds of vacuum cleaners can be used anywhere, such as for cleaning cars, patios, or any other area.
- The cleaning process of the device is also easier.
Though there are several benefits of cordless vacuum cleaners, they also suffer from disadvantages:
- The dust capacity of cordless vacuum cleaners is low when compared to corded vacuum cleaners.
- They have limited battery life.
- Cordless vacuum cleaners are slightly expensive.
Which is Better: Corded vs Cordless Vacuum Cleaner?
Some factors you should keep in mind before purchasing a vacuum cleaner. A few of them are enumerated as under:
Corded vacuum cleaners are less portable as compared to cordless ones. They are generally big and bulky, which restricts the movement of the device from one place to another. Corded vacuums feature a long 6-8 meters cord which often makes you struggle for power sources from one room to another.
Cordless vacuum cleaners are relatively lightweight, weighing just under 6-7 pounds on average. The cord-free designs of such vacuum cleaners allow you to move them freely from one place to another and vacuum the house quickly. You can clean several areas like a car, patio, stairs, and furniture.
2. Battery Life
Since corded vacuum cleaners run on electricity, you don’t have to worry about battery life. This type of vacuum cleaners is ideal for the home as it doesn’t require charging after a few minutes of use.
Cordless vacuum cleaners last for about 20-45 minutes on a single charge. If your device has a lithium-ion battery, it will give you a longer cleaning time. However, they have a strong motor that maximizes performance.
3. Suction Power
Corded vacuums have strong suction power and so they are incredible for large homes with pets, kids, and lots of carpets.
Though cordless vacuum cleaners run on lithium batteries, they tend to provide uniform suction power. But the vacuums lose suction as the battery drains. If you are considering a higher suction power in your vacuum cleaner, look for a high voltage battery and innovative motor power before purchasing a vacuum cleaner.
4. Dust Capacity
As already mentioned, corded vacuum cleaners are bigger. They have a higher dust capacity when compared to cordless ones. Additionally, you don’t have to empty the dust bag every time. Therefore, these vacuum cleaners are promising for those who suffer from allergies.
Cordless vacuum cleaners have limited dust capacity. It needs to be emptied and cleaned frequently. Thus, the dirt and filth impact the performance of the vacuum cleaners.
The choice of corded or cordless vacuum cleaners depends upon the factors such as the size of your house, carpet area, presence of pets or kids, and much more.
However, the amount of investment is also a crucial factor that will determine the type of vacuum cleaners you will purchase. Since the technology is advancing, cordless vacuums are thus gaining popularity.
Do cordless vacuum cleaners use more electricity?
Cordless vacuum cleaners do not use more electricity. They rather save electricity. You can use a cordless vacuum cleaner when you don’t have access to the main power supply. However, you need to charge them whenever the battery runs down.
Are corded vacuums more powerful?
Yes, corded vacuum cleaners are more powerful than cordless vacuums. They have a high suction power as they get power from the central source of electricity. You can, thus, use them to clean hard-to-reach areas.
How many watts is a good vacuum cleaner?
The choice of a vacuum cleaner generally depends on the purpose for which it is bought. If you want a vacuum cleaner for daily use, 500-3000 watt power is enough.
How long do cordless vacuum cleaners last?
Cordless vacuum cleaners last for about 3-6 years before you need to get your battery replaced. Some may last for a few years less, while others can have a longer lifespan.